Wednesday 10 March 2021

M*A*S*H AMBULANCE (Italeri)

I built this 1:35 scale Italeri kit (#226) in about 1984 as part of my M*A*S*H fan phase. For the time it was my best work. I had solved airbrushing, and the mystery of using solva-set to get the giant red cross decal to settle on the roof. I also used masking to paint the rear doors, and to make windscreen wiper patterns on the cab. Inside the back I built wire loops for holding the upper stretchers in place. I also added door handles to the rear cargo doors. On the front seats there is a medic bag with a red cross, and a similar helmet. This is not a diorama in that it is real water and real mud in my backyard, but with the addition of a miniature tree and some cargo boxes and petrol cans for the photographs.

Over 26 000 of the Dodge WC-54, Ambulances, 3⁄4-ton, 4 x 4, were built from 1942 to 1945 to serve as the U.S. Army's main ambulance, with many seeing continued service during the Korean War by the U.S. Army Medical Corps and of course MASH units.

I am sorry that all I can show is copy image of an old grainy printed photo found in a box today.
Click on a photo to see an enlargement.

M*A*S*H Dodge WC-54, Ambulance, 3⁄4-ton, 4 x 4 (photo c.1985)

M*A*S*H Dodge WC-54, Ambulance, 3⁄4-ton, 4 x 4 (photo c.1985)

M*A*S*H ambulance at the exterior film & TV set
in Malibu Creek State Park, 18 January 2020

Dr. & Mrs M*A*S*H fans at exterior film & TV set
in Malibu Creek State Park, 18 January 2020